Custom Mothers Day Stamped Necklaces
Here's a Mother's Day / Grandmother's birthstone jewelry idea that allows each child to stand apart from the others.
Created by: Tiffany White
- Not sure which birthstones go with the months you need? Below, we linked 4mm Swarovski crystal bicone beads in order (January through December) in the 12 most-popular birthstone colors.
- For step-by-step photos and instructions, see our blog article: Custom Mother's Day Necklaces with Birthdates and Birthstones. Otherwise, continue reading here!
- Stamp the date onto a blank. You may want to stamp the month on the left first, then the year on the right, to help center the day in the middle.
- Using a center punch, make dots between the month, day and year.
- Use Stamp Enamel to make the stamped design stand out. Wait 1-3 minutes, then wipe excess away with a soft cloth.
- Polish the blank with an ULTRA polishing pad for brilliant shine.
- Make a pair of beaded eye pins. (See blog or Jewelry Techniques 101)
- Use jump rings to attach beaded crystal eye pins to centerpiece. (See Jewelry Techniques 101 for best way to open and securely close jump rings.)
- Cut a piece of chain about 1.5" (40mm) shorter than desired necklace length. (So if making an 18" necklace, cut chain approx. 16.5")
- Use jump rings to attach chain to crystals.
- Cut the chain in the center in the back. Use a jump ring to attach the clasp to one side, and add a final jump ring to the other side, as your clasp's catch.
- Repeat steps for each additional necklace.
Suggested Supplies (for each Necklace)
- 1 each #44-750-15 Sterling Silver Stamping Blank, Long Oval, Two Hole
- 1 ten-pack (use 6) #37-295-440 Sterling Silver Jump Ring, Round - 4mm, 20.5-gauge
- 1 ten-pack (use 2) #37-815 Sterling Silver Eye Pin, 1-1/2"
- 1 each (use 1) #39-546 Sterling Silver Clasp, Trigger/Lobster, 9mm
- 1 spool (use approximately 18") #40-011-001-3-SP Silver Color Oval Cable Chain by the SPOOL, 2.2mm
- 1 each #86-431-11-001 ImpressArt Stamp Enamel Marker - Black
- 1 dozen (use 2) #05-328-04-?? Selected color(s) of Swarovski 4mm Bicone Crystal Beads
Tip: 1 spool of #40-09>40-099-13-3 has 10 meters of chain, enough for more than 20 necklaces! If you are only making 1 or 2, you might prefer to buy this style by the foot. Change the last "9" to a "0" in our spooled chain stock numbers, to find the same style by the foot. (#40-09>40-090-13-3 is the 2.1mm Silver Plated Cable Chain by the foot.)
- #68-007-01 Jewelry Technique Sheet, Jewelry Basics 101
- #63-528 EURO TOOL Polishing Pads, Ultra, 2x2"
- #69-395 ImpressArt Metal Stamping Hammer, Stubby
- #69-364 Center Punch 4-pack
- #69-240-515-N The BeadSmith 1.5mm (1/16") Gothic Numeric (Number) Metal Stamps Set, Numbers
- #69-123 Bench Block -- We like this combo bench block, because the rubber base helps keep the metal block from bouncing when you stamp, and the nylon portion also comes in handy sometimes. But a more basic metal bench block such as #69-236-2 is also fine!
- #69-291 Basic Jewelry Tool Set
- Scotch Tape (to help hold blank in place on block while stamping.)
May 9th 2021