Patterned Wire Earrings Tutorial
Created by: Polly Nobbs-LaRue
- Measure, mark and cut patterned wire to desired length.
- File ends smooth with slightly rounded corners, so the wire pieces match the curve of the disks.
- Use nylon hammer and metal block to flatten pieces if needed.
- Mark locations for rivet and eyelets on wire, and punch holes. Rivet size is 1/16" and eyelet size is 3/32".
- Use these hole locations, to mark hole locations on the disks. Punch holes.
- Optional: Antique if desired before assembling!
- Match up holes sizes on disk and wire pieces, and set rivets and eyelets.
- French hook ear wires with large 7mm loops allow the pieces to dangle freely. (limited availability.)
If/when these large-loop French hooks are no longer available, you can create your own large-loop ear wire using French wires that have a straight leg (you can also add a bead color of your choice before creating the large loop), or use an 8-11mm jump ring to connect the ear wire to the eyelet. If you use a jump ring, you'll also need to use use chain-nose pliers (non-serrated flat-nose pliers) to twist the loop on the ear wire 90-degrees so the earrings face forward.
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos
- 1 pkg of 100 [use 2] #69-920-01-2 Crafted Findings Brass Rivet, 1/16", Sample Pack, Short
- 1 pkg of 120 [use 2] #69-952-01-2 Crafted Findings Brass Eyelet, 3/32", Assorted
- 1 dozen [use 2] #44-499-0 Disk, Round, 25mm, 1 Side Scored
- 1 each [cut two 25mm pieces] #47-499-12 EURO TOOL Copper Wire w/ Scroll Pattern, 16g (wire styles may vary)
- 1 gross [use 2] #34-227-8 Stainless Steel Ear Wire, French Hook w/ 7mm Loop and Copper Plated Ball (Limited Availability)
- #69-907 Crafted Findings 1/16" Long Reach Rivet Piercing/ Setting Tool
- #69-911 Crafted Findings 3/32" Long Reach Eyelet Flaring Set
- #69-912 Crafted Findings 3/32" Long Reach Piercing Set
- #69-251-PL EURO TOOL File Handle, Plastic
- #69-252-01-2 EURO TOOL Flat File, 6", #2 Cut
- #69-341 Nylon Hammer
- #69-230 EURO TOOL Shear, 7"
- #69-123 EURO TOOL Combo Bench Block
- Basic Jewelry Pliers (Round-nose or chain-nose) for adding ear wire.
- Sharpie, Extra Fine Point
Aug 31st 2021
Our Bead Blog
Classic Bridal Earrings TutorialFeb 22nd 2023
Created by: Summer MelaasDesigner Tips Attach ear wire to top loop of filigree. For best way to ope
Best Necklace and Bracelet LengthsFeb 22nd 2023
What is the BEST Necklace Length? 18" necklaces are the most popular in the United States, but might
Gemstone Index: PeridotFeb 22nd 2023
This olivine variety is composed of magnesium iron silicate. Peridot (pronounced PEAR-ih-doh or PEAR