Geared Ring Tutorial
Created by: Polly Nobbs-LaRue
- Cut a strip of 20-gauge sheet 2.75" long. Smooth and straighten with a nylon hammer.
- Optional: Texture or stamp (see "How to Make a Metal-Stamped Charm" technique sheet below).
- For a matte finish, scrub the surface with steel wool (or even a green dish scrubbie!).
- File the corners and edges smooth using a #2-cut needle file.
- Use a pair of nylon-jaw ring-bending pliers to bend the band into shape. Overlap the ends at least 0.25".
- Check the size on a ring mandrel. Adjust as necessary, using flat-nose nylon-jaw pliers and/or nylon hammer.
- Use the riveting system tool to punch a 3/32" hole in the center of the overlapped area. Re-straighten ring as necessary.
- Insert an eyelet, beginning at inside of ring, and add embellishments to top.
- Set 3/32" eyelet with the flaring end of the riveting system tool.
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos
- 1 pkg of 120 [use one, 3/16" or 7/32" long] #69-952-01-2 Eyelet, 3/32", Assorted
- 1 doz [use 1] #44-305-0 Gear, 19mm
- 1 pkg of 6 [use 1] #64-981-24-25 Sheet, 24 Gauge, 6x0.25"
- 1 doz [use 1] #44-353-0 Sprocket, 19mm, Copper
- #69-251-PL File Handle, Plastic
- #69-305-P Plier, Nylon Ring-Bending Pliers
- #69-230 Shear, Cushion Grip, 7"
- #69-908 Tool, 3/32" Eyelet Flaring Set
- #69-904 Tool, 3/32" Piercing Set
- #69-252-01-2 Tool, Flat File, 6", #2 Cut
- #69-341 Tool, Hammer, Nylon
- #69-125 Tool, Steel 4" Square Block
- #69-175 Tool, Ring Mandrel
- #69-903 Tool, Riveting System Body
- 0000 steel wool or dish scrubbie
Oct 31st 2021
Our Bead Blog
Classic Bridal Earrings TutorialFeb 22nd 2023
Created by: Summer MelaasDesigner Tips Attach ear wire to top loop of filigree. For best way to ope
Best Necklace and Bracelet LengthsFeb 22nd 2023
What is the BEST Necklace Length? 18" necklaces are the most popular in the United States, but might
Gemstone Index: PeridotFeb 22nd 2023
This olivine variety is composed of magnesium iron silicate. Peridot (pronounced PEAR-ih-doh or PEAR